Replacing Thorn Apollo Boiler on 10mm microbore.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My trusty Apollo 15/30b boiler must be coming up to 25 years old (possibly more) and although it runs fine and has a decent heat exchanger, and a service once a year, has inhibiter etc in system, I have to see sense and know it could pack in at anytime.(USUALLY AT WINTER)
The property is a 4 bed detatched timber frame, has ten rads with 10mm microbore, no TRVs, F&E tank in loft, 3 port valve, pump driven, horizontal flue through outside wall.
I have a cylinder in the airing cupboard which I can use on electric as a back up, which is good, and an electric shower which is mains fed.

My questions are as follows..

1. I think the Apollo is 30.000 BTUs and obviously being 10mm microbore takes a little longer to heat up, but all rads apart from one which is in the bathroom get hot, I think the system needs balancing because it works when I close off other rads in the bedrooms.
Is 30.000 BTUs sufficient enough for 2 large double and 3 small double, downstairs, and 5 small single rads which are upstairs.

2. If I go for a Combi, am I restricted in any way because of the microbore and what BTU should I go for, I don't want the boiler struggling, to cope, but don't want the expense and upheaval of replacing all the pipework to 15mm.

3. If I go for an efficient condensing boiler which means I keep the tanks etc, are they as good as combis when it comes to running costs.

4. At the moment I can turn off the main stopcock (VERY IMPORTANT) in case of a pipe burst when away from home, but are you able to do the same with a combi.

5. Being timber frame, what regs are needed when siting a boiler.

I know it is swings and roundabouts, but If I decide to go with a combi, the benefits of instant hot water and a possible loft conversion made easier for myself or a future buyers, may be a bonus.

Sorry but I am no heating engineer and any advice would be truly appreciated,

semi-acoustic

Sponsored Links
A 30K BTU boiler sounds a wee bit small every for your type of house, however, if you fit a combi that'll not be an issue as they are designed for hot water output.

Things to consider;
Is a combi going to provide enough hot water?
Is my incoming mains water flow rate & pressue OK for a combi?
The gas supply pipe from the meter will in most cases need to be increased for a combi.

Timber frame is not a huge issue, as long as the flue is installed through the frame correctly & it's fire proofed.
Hope that's some help.

Perhaps the best thing to do is get three quotes from Gas Safe RGIs in your area..............What about the guy that services your Appollo, have you asked him these questions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back