Replacing upstairs floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate some advice on the best way to replace upstairs floors in a 250 year old cottage. 2 of the bedrooms are separated by a wall. The wall is single skin brickwork inside a timber (oak) frame. This wall is built on top of the existing original floor. I want to replace the floorboards, but am concerned that I will make the wall unstable if I simply cut the floorboards flush with the brickwork. Am I right to be concerned or is this fairly normal? The new floor I intend to lay will be 18mm pine t&g, which I want to leave exposed.
Also, the joists are the original 4x2s. When we get the occasional large lorry go past the floor shakes a bit. Would it be a good idea to fit noggins in between the joists to tie it all together, or will the fact that I will be using t&g help to strengthen it sufficiently (the existing boards are not t&g).
Thans for any assistance.

Steve

Sponsored Links
If you have any concerns at all about making it unstable then either get a professional opinion or leave well alone. To be honest though surely it is better to do something with the original boards rather than rip them out. They should strip back easily and look perfect and keep in the character of the house.

thanks Daz. Unfortunately the boards are not really salvageable. They have in the past been damaged by woodworm and damp, aswell as 250 years worth of people hacking them about.
I guess the compromise is to lay the new floor on top of the existing boards. Will make it interesting if I ever need to rip the floor up in a hurry to find a leaking pipe!

I wouldn't advise laying over the top with new boards if you are laying over 4 X 2 joists. I don't think they will take the extra weight especially as you say the floor moves now when a lorry passes . I think you will have to revert back to Plan A and cut the old boards close to the wall and relay with new boards up to the wall. It shouldn't have any effect on the stability of the wall because it has been built on the floor without problem for 250 years so far and you aren't altering that in any way. You may find though that you will have to fit a new joist either side of the wall to bear the ends of the new joists because there may not be one there. And , by all means , fit noggins if you can but don't overdo it - remember the weight.!

Sponsored Links
good point about the weight. I hadnt thought of that! Plan A it is then.
I will have to fit a new joist either side, and I think I will install noggins in between the new joists and the one next to them, but not the rest of the joists. Hopefully by the time I have put the new t&g floor on top it should be stronger than it is now.
Thanks again.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back