Replacing Wall Lights - Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning

I have bought some replacement wall lights and hoped to fit them myself, however, I have no experience of wiring.

After turning off the fuse for the lights I removed the fitting and saw the old light fittings were wired as follows -

Black Wire from Wall to Blue on fitting
Red Wire from Wall to Brown on fitting

My new lights have a Brown, Blue and Green wire. If I wire the new fittings as i wired the old the Green will be left. Is this ok? And if not what should i do with the Green wire? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is the body of the fitting made from metal? If so you should not instal it without an earth connection, depending on the age of the old fittings it may be that the earth wire has been cut off at the end of the outer cover, in which case by raising the fittings you may be able to strip back the outer sheath & uncover the earth wire. On the other hand it may be only 2 core cable in which case you should instal a separate earth, given your lack of experience I would suggest you may be better to have the job done professionally.

The green wire will be for the earth.
The old cable does it have 3 cores, one red / one black / one green/yellow or plain copper ?
If so the green/yellow plain copper wire is thecircuit earth (cpc), so connect your light fittings green wire to this.

Your new lights dont happen to be metal do they ? if so & if you do not have a cpc on the lighting circuit I wouldnt advise fitting the lights.

Edit = Beat me to it jj

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back