Replacing Window Mullions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The stone window Mullions have been cut out of the window by a previous owner to allow more light in, but I would like to restore the original character.

Does anyone know how to replace them. Can you use colour washed concrete and will this be an expensive job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you live in a conservation area?

Is the building listed?

Sounds lik£ an £xp£nsiv£ job to m£. :eek:

I take it that the mullion's were not supporting anything above ??

Sponsored Links
The stone window Mullions have been cut out of the window by a previous owner to allow more light in, but I would like to restore the original character.

Does anyone know how to replace them. Thanks
Henry V111 did a lot of that ;)

I use some reconsituted stone full window surrounds, jambs, cills, heads, mullions etc and they look great but are a bitch to build as you go, never mind retro-fitting.

you do realize you will probably have to fit new windows too with bars behind the mullions as if its left as is obviously the back of the mullion will be visable through the window?

Also surely the stone lintel/heads are split into sections where the mullions meet them so if the mullions were removed how are they supported?

Oh well, the mullions must have been supporting something.....now he's
supporting it. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back