Replacing wiring to the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owners of my house ran electric to the garage using a 13 amp plug in a socket from the house. Obviously this isn't great and I've had it disconnected for most of the time I've been here. Now I'm gearing up for some winter projects and need electricity out there....

I have space on the main fuse box to run another ring specifically for the garage and can root it through the roof (the existing one goes outside....). Once in the garage I was thinking of a RCB, sockets and lights.

Am I allowed to do this myself these days?

Sponsored Links
You can do anything you want on electrics. The question is "Is it notifiable?" The answer to this is Yes, as you are planning to change stuff in the consumer unit and provide a new circuit.

However, if you do want to give it a go and go down the DIY route with notification to the LABC, you need to plan it properly and submit plans to the LABC before commencing the work. If you would like the advice from those here, I would suggest that you give some more info such as distance to garage from the consumer unit, is it detached or attached, the type of power requirement (lights sockets, heaters, power tools etc), likely cable route (e.g. in insulated loft) Then depending on the work involved, you can make a decision whether you want to give it a go or get a Part P registered Competent electrician.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply.

The house consists of a 18th century lath and plaster single story cottage that has been extended. The garage was then a later addition.

The garage is attached. The route for the cable would be up into the insulated loft of the original cottage and then possibly into the uninsulated flat roof of the extension (I'll have to get up there and have a look) and then into the garage (which has an upstairs). The distance is approx 6m...

Ideally I'd like lights and sockets. I'll be using an electric saw, router, etc. in there.

Any other info that would prove useful just ask.

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back