Replastering inside of external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently hacked off about half a metre of plaster right back to the brick to try and see what was causing a damp patch which would not go away and all the paint had flaked off repeatedly.

I filled in some gaps in the mortar on the outside of the house last year and can't see any obvious gaps where water might get in.

The construction is solid wall victorian and the wall in question is the inside of the external wall which is right on the pavement.

Due to the fact that it has hardly rained at all since I hacked it off I am no closer to finding out what may have been causing the damp.
The patch had appeared about 12/18 inches up from the skirting, near some sockets and close to the front door (it's a cottage so front door is in the room).
I thought that some moisture may be making its way along/down the wall to the affected area.

There are one or two other small patches where paint had been flaking off but I hacked them off and used some one coat plaster to patch up and had no problem with them since.

The current walls plaster appears to be mostly sand/cement and horsehair. Not sure if lime would have also been used?
The lower part of the wall (area with damp patch) looks like it is bonding/finish.

The guttering above this area has a drip from the join after rain and does appear to be dripping in the region of the patch BUT it is not really splashing up the wall and there are other small drips in the guttering that cause no problems.

I'm thinking of just hacking off the whole wall and getting it replastered but not sure if any waterproofer should be used?
Also is sand/cement or lime recommended as it is the interior of a cold external wall?
I also plan to fix the drip from the guttering just in case.

Sponsored Links
I have recently hacked off about half a metre of plaster right back to the brick to try and see what was causing a damp patch which would not go away and all the paint had flaked off repeatedly.

I filled in some gaps in the mortar on the outside of the house last year and can't see any obvious gaps where water might get in.

The construction is solid wall victorian and the wall in question is the inside of the external wall which is right on the pavement.

Due to the fact that it has hardly rained at all since I hacked it off I am no closer to finding out what may have been causing the damp.
The patch had appeared about 12/18 inches up from the skirting, near some sockets and close to the front door (it's a cottage so front door is in the room).
I thought that some moisture may be making its way along/down the wall to the affected area.

There are one or two other small patches where paint had been flaking off but I hacked them off and used some one coat plaster to patch up and had no problem with them since.

The current walls plaster appears to be mostly sand/cement and horsehair. Not sure if lime would have also been used?
The lower part of the wall (area with damp patch) looks like it is bonding/finish.

The guttering above this area has a drip from the join after rain and does appear to be dripping in the region of the patch BUT it is not really splashing up the wall and there are other small drips in the guttering that cause no problems.

I'm thinking of just hacking off the whole wall and getting it replastered but not sure if any waterproofer should be used?
Also is sand/cement or lime recommended as it is the interior of a cold external wall?
I also plan to fix the drip from the guttering just in case.

The gypsum based plaster is the problem. You need to remove it and replaster with lime motar to allow the wall to breath again. Assuming you have fixed the gutter etc.

Don't skim over the lime with a gypsum finish.

Ok sounds like a plan. Should horse hair be used? Also will this give a nice smooth finish? The rest of the wall looks good so could I get away with just replastering the gypsum area (about 2 ft up from skirting)?

Sponsored Links
Ok sounds like a plan. Should horse hair be used? Also will this give a nice smooth finish? The rest of the wall looks good so could I get away with just replastering the gypsum area (about 2 ft up from skirting)?

I would use hair horse/goat but you can use straw on the float coat but you don't need to with hydraulic limes unless you are putting it onto lath.

This is a good site for you to read.

http://www.stastier.co.uk/nhl/guides/plasnhl.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back