Replastering small parts of a wall (clueless)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to having to replace and lower 4 thermostats on our walls, the electricians had to knock through parts of the plaster surrounding them. The electricians say that we don't need to change the whole plaster board (just plaster up those specific areas) and not to let anyone tell us any different.

I don't know the first thing about replastering - it just so happens we are having the walls stripped and painted anyway and I'm hoping our existing painters would charge any extra to fill these holes. Each one is probably about the size of a fist.

Any tips from those in the know would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Cut some some small pieces of plasterboard up that will fit in and behind the holes top and bottom for example, there will be gaps but dont worry about that for now, your aim is to close in the hole as much as you can. The board goes in and behind the hole so make it wider than the diameter you have at the moment. You will have a recess, again dont worry about that at this stage

If you have an old piece of plasterboard use that if not you will have to buy a small sheet, probably only cost less than £6.00

Use some builders caulk ( approx £2.00 a tube) and put some on your two cutouts and stick them to the inside of the top and bottom of your hole say above and below your pipe etc, press firmly and squeeze out any ecess caulk and let go, it should remain in place.

Let it dry for 24hrs, you can then pack out the left and right voids, just put some small pieces in these with some more caulk and let that dry.

You can then use any cheap filler powder or ready made filler to start filling in the hole, it may take two coats, let each one dry before the next goes on.

One packed out you can sand it back until its nice and flat with the wall

Repeat for each hole around the pipes

I have included a rough pic to show what i mean if that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back