Repoint soldiers or new lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have triangular shaped cracking above a ground floor window on my house. I've had a couple of builders look at it and the common theory is that it's because the soldier course has sagged and it needs a lintel putting in. i'm ok with that and a concrete lintel has already been installed on the back of the house.
My question is this...the cracks have been there since we moved in 5 years ago. I know the house was underpinned before we moved in so do I just rake out and re-point to see if this rectifies the situation or do i go to the expense of getting the lintel put in? I've been quoted £580 for a 4 ft window which sounds extortionate to me.
Its ground floor window in a cavity wall with a soldier course above. The reason it's come to light is during some heavy rain driving at that wall last year we had some water running in and dripping through the window reveal. Its only happened that one time.
Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Quickest, but not best, solution would be to squirt some clear silicon in the crack to stop the water ingress.

Repointing might do the trick if there is no ongoing movement, but might not look great unless carefully matched.

The lintel would be the best solution but the price does seem expensive.

Ok thanks for that. I'm thinking I can try the quick and dirty route for now, and if it doesn't solve the problem I can always get a lintel put in later. So if I rake out and re-point, gum up the crack above the window with a bit of silicone, is there any merit in getting brick-sealer for the wall? Something like the StormDry I've seen advertised?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back