Lintel Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other thread will be removed
Hi guys.

Apologies for duplicate post, I've posted this in the "Windows" forum, but thought it might be better here.

Some years ago, we had new windows installed by a local company, but they didn't fit lintels above any of the downstairs windows, with the following result:

Fortunately, the windows are under warranty, although the company were reluctant to take any responsibility. After using the Ombudsman service, they finally took notice and they have been told to fit steel lintels to all the windows

My question is, what options do I have with, respect to lintels, in order to keep the soldier course? The company have said that they can either install the lintel to the course above and cut the soldiers bricks down to fit, or they can cut the bricks to the side, so the current soldier bricks can be maintained asis.

Either solution seems to have it's problems with respect to aesthetics.

I'm not sure which way to go or if there are any other options. I've lost all trust in the company, given the poor workmanship and time it's taken to get to this stage (18 months).

Either way, the window needs to be remade, as it has bowed so much that we can't open it.

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
RPerrin Hi,
Its a common remedial problem and fix to install a metal lintel even with the brickwork above the lintel dropping as yours is.
To be on the safe side a couple of Acrow Strong Boys should be used before removing or installing anything.

A remedial Catnic, SKU:CAT-ANG 300mm min. wider than the opening should be used - 150mm bearing min. either side.
The remedial catnic is an angle iron.
A cavity tray and weeps should also be installed.

Why not have a look at stu crompton's you tube vid: "How to do cavity tray over lintel" 19/04/2019?
As stu mentions its a must that the cavity is kept clean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back