Repointing - Did I do OK?

if i done that on a building site my boss would just head butt me should of used a pointing trowel brick acid and the wire brush can resolve the problem and shouldnt drop the price off your home i would like to ask you about the scaffold tower though thinking off buying one for my own work did you feel safe using it for this type of work ?

Sponsored Links
It`s just a bit overdone mate. You have followd all the spalted arrises and perks and came a bit far out. You would have been better keeping it in a bit for a less obtrusive look then raked your pointing. When a brick wall has been rendered it is usually because brick or joints have broken down or water is penetrating.

If they are common brick they really should be rendered not pointed. Some old common are better than others mind you.

Corrie

THINK YOU SHOULD PAINT IT.
NICE TRY,BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED ADVICE PRIOR TO DOING THE JOB.IF YOU DO PAINT IT USE STABILISER SOLUTION FIRST TO GIVE THE PAINT A KEY.
GOOD ADVICE!STICK TO THE DAY JOB!HOPE THATS NOT BUILDING L.O.L!

must agree with others, but on the plus side i have seen worse quality from so called profesional builders that people have had to pay for,over time it will weather a bit which will help the look of it, and well done! if you reached the top of your stack, off a tower, because that certainly is not for the faint hearted. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It does look bad, never mind, If you'd cleaned up with a wet Bannister brush as you went it would have looked a lot nicer

I'm glad that so many people have been honest with their opinions.
I know it's not a good job but it sorted the problem that I had.

It used to be rendered to the top of upstairs window but it looked bad. I mean it wasn't a good job, it was falling off in places ever since it was done (so-called builders who did it)

The bricks are in a poor state and it had been poined before with a very hard cement morter (not by me but a previous owner). Alot of the bricks had started to crumble to a point where the cement morter had fallen out and were rough along the edges. I must have replaced many of the wose ones (more than 30 of them).
It would have been nice to replace them all but I don't think that would have been possible!

As for the scaffold tower, well it was interesting to put up. I put it up February time, and it stayed up throughout all the high winds that we had.
I didn't leave the boards on when it was very windy as I could hear them wobbling a little so I though ti was best to remove them.

I anchored it to the wall in several places as once it got above the top window as It was a little shaky, which did make it alot more stable.
I would reccomend more than 2 outriggers if you plan to go up as high as I did (33 foot top to bottom)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back