repoint or render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all... just want abit of advice please, i have a brick 1880's farmhouse of which the pointing is in a very bad way and some faces of bricks have come away and on the front of the house you can see where bricks have been added in the past and cement has been used instead of lime for pointing.. most of the house is lime pointed.. what i want to know what would be cheaper? either have whole house repointed with lime or to have whole house rendered? would render cause any other problems? ie . damp or other... any advice would be great... will post a picture of house so you get an idea...

Sponsored Links
Can't really tell the quality. But I would always prefer to buy a normal brick house.. When I see render I always think what are they trying to hide. You can do most of the donkey work yourself and get someone in to repoint..

I would re-point rather than render. If the render cracks it can trap moisture behind it and make the walls damp.

Sponsored Links
im thinking to repoint now after reading up on problems with render... do i have to use lime or would a weak cement mortar be ok? would i be better off leaving the job until summer? thanks

Lime would be better, but if you do it in the summer protect it from the sun as it won't reach full strength if it dries out too quickly. In winter you have to protect it from frost and driving rain.

Search lime mortar for ready mixed stuff to point with, saves knocking it up every day and you know it will do the job in hand.

Yeah so I'm for re-pointing! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back