repointing in winter? and damp problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have a balcony that forms the roof of the porch of the flat below.

* the side balcony wall and side porch walls are one and need repointing.
* overflowing pipe was part of problem and was fixed in high summer.
* there is currently damp inside the unheated porch with the onset of winter
* the damp appears as clear water near the roof and tops of interior walls of the flats recently painted (on interior) porch
* the porch is separated from the interior of the flat below by another (interior) door

I have said to the flat below that repointing is best done after winter and that his damp being clear water looks like condensation in an unheated porch with no ventilation (he rarely opens his windows anyway and his main heating system is broken).

I have sealed the porch roof (i.e. our balcony floor) with a tarpaulin taped 4 inches up the sides with waterproof duck tape to see if there is any change over the next few weeks.

I really reckon he is having a condensation problem as the damp isnt dependent on rainy days. Also the balcony was dirty black and the damp is clear water. There is no question that repointing needs doing but is it unwise to do this in winter? I will also get the balcony resealed as well just in case, when the time comes.

Advice and thoughts very welcome

Thanks J

Sponsored Links
pretty sure it`s conden........ give them a christmas present, the goodwill will let you off till summer :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back