Ventilation for small porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a small unheated in-fill porch with external dimensions of 2.1m front, 1.2m sides (one a lounge wall and the other my neighbour's porch) and 2.2m height to the tiles at the front. It'll have a pitched roof, composite door and a window with small casement opening above a 0.9m high dwarf wall. The dwarf wall will probably be single skinned with battens, duplex plasterboard and a plaster skim; a double-skinned cavity wall takes an extra chunk off the interior space and I'm wary of having just a single skin even for an unheated porch. It'll be used primarily as a coat and buggy store whilst providing extra insulation to the hall for winter.

The porch is well within the limits to not need planning permission or meet Building regs. I would, though, like to do a good job even if that means extra work and expense.

The porch will be North-facing and in almost permanent shade. I'm getting confused over the best way to ventilate it. I don't want to rely on opening the small casement window. Will a black hole vent in the brickwork be adequate, or should I go complicated with a moisture-controlled electric fan? Where is the best pace for a vent. Will the roof require a vent (I suspect not)?

Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back