repointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all moved into my house around 2 years ago and have come to notice at the back of the house we have a section of wall where quite a bit of the motar has come out of the walls.
It seems whoever lived here before thought it would be a good idea to shove bits of old wood into the gaps rather than sort the problem out properly (not the only bodge job I've found!). I'm guessing its just a case of removing the wood and re-filling the holes back up and using a brick jointer to get the required finish?

As you can probably tell I'm no brickie and only started getting involved with DIY when we moved in and found all things were not rosy! Is it a task a DIYer can take on and if so what mix would I need to make sure I fix the problem properly?

I may also have to replace a couple of bricks as the face of them has crumbled off, probably due to water getting in the gaps and freezing and thawing?

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
if there is a lot to point get a pointing gun like a mastic gun but u put mortar in it 1 to 4 cement and sand mix should do it

I agree with tommyl18

make sure you rake out the joints at least 15-20mm deep. if you use a gun you can flush point with a bent length of 15mm copper pipe. Let the pointing go off before you do this - it gives a better finish. Brush off any 'snots' on the bwk faces before it goes off. mortar is difficult to remove when its hard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back