Rerouting flue through bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have existing combi boiler(Halstead Finest Gold) in the kitchen, mounted on a plasterboard partition wall next to a bathroom.
The flue route is:from above boiler,a 90 deg elbow,200mm into an ex-external wall, out the other side(conservatory), 300mm away an elbow up, 350mm uo penetrate the 25mm polycabonate and external flue kit,(total length is 2250mm inclusive the 2no 90deg elbow allowance)
The corgi recommend to change the comni into a condensing combi since there had been problem with shaking when DHW turn on &can)'t resolve.
ZI am thinking if the new boiler is to mount on same spot(partition plasterboard)wall, the flue leave the boiler at top, 90deg elbow into partition wall, through into the bathroom,(above the bath tub)shower, say 500mm away from partition wall turn 90deg elbow into the external wall(just above window) & out to external then terminate with just external fitment. This route will eliminate the vertical flue kit & penetrating the conservatory roof.
Maybe in the bathroom, above the bathtub, I can construct a \\\"plasterboard bulkhead\\\" to enclose the flue within the bathroom.
Q1) What else do I need to consider?
Q2) Any authority requirements?
Q3) Any other necessary precaution to be taken?

Please advise

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as any flue is installed by a CORGI engineer in accordance with the current regulations, no further approvals are required and it can pass through a bathroom.

The only requirement is that any boxing should be removable to allow inspection.

Tony Glazier

into the external wall(just above window)

:!: lintel over window not to be compromised.
Check mfrs distance given, flue from window.

Changing a boiler becasue a working boiler is making a noise is a bit drastic. They All make a noise. HFG is unexceptional in that - perhaps it needs a little attention. NB getting corgi regd teaches nothing about individual boilers!

Hi ChrisR,

What do you mean by FHG?

The boiler make a shaking/"kettling" when CH not on and the DHW turn on. It shake for 1 minute or so.
This also happened when on timer, timer comes on in the morning,(that is the boiler is cold) the CH comes on and it makes that shaking/"Kettling".

A corgi man came & check but can't find what is wrong but always suspect that it is the flue & suspect is the vertical part too. but can't find how to resolve since the flue had been dismantled & reassembled.

This is when he recommend to change boiler.

Halstead technical also do not know whayt is wrong so I am left with no choice.

Any advise? Any Engineer who can HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
Halstead haven't seen the thing I suppose, so their comments are useless, you have to be on the scene. In this area they use independent's to do their breakdowns, ask them who covers your area and get a second opinion. First man is going for the quick buck solution.

If not a Halstead engineer go round to local trade counters and ask which engineers are good at servicing fixing boilers, and say you don't want a combi swap merchant.

BAthroom route sounds OK if termination is outside a zone drawn square around the window spaced 300mm and distances from all other places mentioned in British Standards (manufacturers instructions) are taken into account.

You need a second opinion a third and a forth until you find the man who doesn't want to make a fast buck out of you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back