Reset Boiler after Pilot light goes out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After strong winds, my Boiler blows out but in the past it just seems to need resetting and lighting again....

We lived in a rented house until we bought it three months ago so someone always came round and did this for us but now we are on our own...

My question is hopefully simple but bear with my description of the problem - I'm great at Spreadsheets but rubbish at boilers!! :)

I understand that as the pilot has blown out, a trip switch kicks in to stop the boiler lighting. Now this trip switch does not appear to be an original part (or at least the bit I need to reset - the 'switch') is not original (it may be but it also looks to have been added (and is loose on the end of wires and piping!)

my problem - I don't know how to reset the switch!!! I know that sounds simple but it is not like anything I have used before. I have tried to find a picture on the internet to point you towards but cannot, so you will have to put up with my description!

It is approximately the size of a fifty pence piece and in the middle is a small platic 'peg' - about 2mm in diameter - this peg spins rounds, pulls out a few mm(and springs back) and if you 'waggle' it, it does click but it is not an obvious rocker switch. Does anyone know what i am talking about and how to 'reset' the boiler so the Pilot light will stay lit?

incidentally it is a glowworm fuelsaver 40-50 model (that we are going to replace next year) and the switch thing is from Ranco if that helps?

Sponsored Links
I can`t understand why you`ve got this switch at all! The boiler has a thermocouple that does exactly the same job as it has a constant pilot on it.

I have no idea - as i said, It doesn't look like an original part but has been well maintained and inspected for both Landlords certificates and by British Gas.

Hopefully this will link to an image of the part in question - i just need to know what to do with it to reset it - do I push it in, hold it out, flick it, stamp on it?????

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance

http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/2771167511720.jpg

Looks like an overheat stat to me, on your boiler it`s usually underneath the boiler on the right hand side behind the gas valve. Do the wires attatch to the gas valve?

Sponsored Links
The wires do seem to connect to the gas valve but the last guy that came out to relight the pilot told me I just had to reset the cut out using this thing pictured and then relight the pilot.

So how do i use the thing pictured? The green bit (god i sound so dumb - lol) is the only moving part but what would you normally do to it to 'operate' this device?

It simply pushes in. Springs out when tripped. I`m very suspicious about it though. Sounds to me like the stat has been taken off the boiler for whatever reason, it`s a safety control and the boiler shouldn`t be run without it in the correct place. Have a look behind the gas valve on the right, that`s where those 2 wires should be connected to the overheat stat.

Scratch my previous thoughts - The part was the Overheat thermostat - it hasn't popped out and deosn't need resetting.

Byut my Pilot still won't stay lit - As soon as you release it (after holding it in for 20 seconds) it jsut goes straight out - it's as if the cut out hasn;t reset.

What is it action that resets the safety cut out - is it turning the Thermstat to 'off', turning the electricity off or turning the pilot knob off? is there anything else simple I can try?

Cheers

They don't do the same. Overheat stats turn the boiler off if it overheats, thermocouples do it if the pilot goes out. Some overheat stats are resettable, some aren't.
As your boiler is in bits and not working, have to suggest you call a boiler engineer. It might well not be simple, if you don't know what's what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back