Residential 3 Phase Supply to Single / 3 Phase

Just to clarify it was not that EON refused to fit the 3 phase into the box, it was that it would not physically fit above the cut out.
The installer from EON tried to place the smart 3 phase meter that they fit into the meter box but it was simply too tall due to the extra bit at the top that contains all the "smart" stuff.
He even showed me what I believe was a standard "shorter" 3 phase meter and although this fit above the cut out it only left minimal room for the cables.
However I can't remember if he tried to fit it above and to the right of the cut out so I'll have to investigate this.

I'll add looking for a different meter to my list of possible options as EON may be willing to fit even if I have to supply it. (y)

Upon looking at my photo (re-attached to this post) it looks to me that they could have placed the cut out lower by 50mm or so?
The actual space available is 340mm wide by 250mm high which makes me wonder if they could fit the meter on it's side?
I'll be adding both of those to the list of potential options.

Thanks JohnW2 and SUNRAY for your help.

Mark.
I thought I'd seen a pic but only looked back to first page for it. Personally I'd be unscrewing the sloping back board and re fixing it such that the tails under the meter can drop down behind and curl back over the top to the cutout.
Does this make sense?:
upload_2021-10-1_13-18-34.png
And there shoud se space for the isolator

Sponsored Links
The actual space available is 340mm wide by 250mm high which makes me wonder if they could fit the meter on it's side?
I can think of absolutely no electrical reason why a meter could not be fitted 'on it's side' and I don't think I've ever seen a smart meter which would not fit into your available space if that were done.

Kind Regards, John

I thought I'd seen a pic but only looked back to first page for it. Personally I'd be unscrewing the sloping back board and re fixing it such that the tails under the meter can drop down behind and curl back over the top to the cutout.
Does this make sense?:
Thanks for that idea and it does make sense but even then I do not think it will fit.
I've added a photo of the actual meter..

I can think of absolutely no electrical reason why a meter could not be fitted 'on it's side' and I don't think I've ever seen a smart meter which would not fit into your available space if that were done.
Unfortunately when I asked the EON Install Team Leader he said they could not fit it on it's side, I get the feeling that unless it's been tested and approved they will not do anything.

They have also said they cannot fit any other type of meter, only the ones they stock.
NPG are going to come out on Monday to see if they can do anything to create the extra space by moving the cut out within the box but I think the only real option is for them to fit a red link in the garage.

Regards,
Mark.

Attachments

• DH3.jpg
    DH3.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 94
Thanks for that idea and it does make sense but even then I do not think it will fit.
I've added a photo of the actual meter..

Unfortunately when I asked the EON Install Team Leader he said they could not fit it on it's side, I get the feeling that unless it's been tested and approved they will not do anything.

They have also said they cannot fit any other type of meter, only the ones they stock.
NPG are going to come out on Monday to see if they can do anything to create the extra space by moving the cut out within the box but I think the only real option is for them to fit a red link in the garage.

Regards,
Mark.
Blimey, I know I said the tend to be a bit bigger but...

With the meter in that position and from tha photo angle it looks like the 3 fuses are clear of the meter widthwise and the neutral connexion is nearly clear heightwise. In my opinion i'd be looking at creating a backboard just big enough to take the meter and way forwards so the meter is just behind the door. Reduce the width of the sloping back boardto the right of the C/O and it looks like that will create loads of space for the tails. There will be plenty of space above the C/O for the isolator.

I'll also add the C/O could be lowered but will mean digging to lose a bit of cable and maybe moving it to the left just a few mm too.

I'd get it in there:)

Sponsored Links
.... I've added a photo of the actual meter..
Blimey, I know I said the tend to be a bit bigger but...
Quite so! Good grief - what on earth is that massive bit added onto the top, I wonder? - the actual ES-30B 'smart' meter, per se, does not appear to have that - so I wonder what the add-on bit achieves which the 'smart' meter itself doesn't? ...

upload_2021-10-3_19-9-1.png

... Unfortunately when I asked the EON Install Team Leader he said they could not fit it on it's side, I get the feeling that unless it's been tested and approved they will not do anything.
Possibly. I cannot find an installation manual on-line (only 'data sheets', which say nothing about installation orientation). E.ON presumably do have an installation manual- so you could ask them to show you where it says that it cannot be installed on its side?
I suppose that was inevitable. It's very probably just a matter of money, so if you could find the right person to talk to, they might agree to fit something different if you paid (fully or partially) for it.
As for the latter, as I asked before (and I think your answers were "no" and "don't know", respectively), do we know whether they would be prepared to fit the 'red link' cutout and, if so, at what cost?

Kind Regards, John

No I have also looked so see what the additional part is but I haven't been able to find it.
EDIT: It's a communications hub variant .... https://www.edmi-meters.com › uploads › 2019/05
Well found - you did better than I managed.

However, what is a communications hub "variant". Does not the ES-30B have a built in communications facility and, if it doesn't, in what sense is it a 'smart' meter?

Kind Regards, John

I'll ask EON the question next time I speak to them.
I'll be interested to hear their answer!

However, I suspect/fear that you will still get the same answer from them - i.e. that they will only fit "what they stock" and that (for whatever reason), in your case amounts to an ES-30B plus the 'communications hub variant'!

As I implied, I can but presume that the ES-30B itself (without any add-ons) must have a communications facility since, if it didn't, I can't see how it could be described and sold as a 'smart' meter. The data sheet certainly says nothing to suggest that it is 'smart' only if other bits are added to it.

Kind Regards, John

An update....

NPG eventually agreed to move the cut out into the garage FOC and I agreed to dig down to allow them to connect into the cable.
However when they turned up today they immediately said they could not do this as I had not core drilled the wall.
So I phoned NPG who said they thought I would know to core drill, not sure why and even if I had known I would not know the exact location to drill.
Anyway the guys who came agreed to do as much as they could and showed me exactly where to drill so fingers crossed my cut out will get moved into the garage early next week.
However they also told me that the cut out the original people had fitted was the wrong one anyway and the one they should have fitted was smaller, hence it is possible that if they had fitted the correct one then EON would not have had an issue fitting in the smart meter.
What a farce! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back