Residual wallpaper paste - Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Just moved into new home which is about three years old. I'm not very good at DIY but determined to do the best job I can in decorating my lad's room.

I stripped off the wallpaper which came off fairly easily and underneath the walls had been painted pink previously - the walls now just look like clean painted walls although in pink which is not my lad's taste in colour!. I cleaned the walls with some sugar soap and water and the walls feel very slippery even with clean water after a few rinses.

I'm paranoid there's still residual wallpaper paste there and if I paint the walls then the paint is just going to peel and not stick.

No matter how much I wash the walls they still seem slippery when wet - there's no obvious visual paper paste on the walls - does anyone know if I'm just being over cautious or is there a method to make sure I remove all traces of the paste before painting.

Thanks,

NS

Sponsored Links
If you've got the dosh, look at Zinsser Gardz.

Thanks for advice - I can't seem to get hold of Zinsser Gardz anywhere apart from online. I spoke to a guy at a decorating store who asked me what I wanted it for and he advised he'd probably not bother with Gardz and just paint the walls anyway.

Some people have suggested hot water and a scraper but I've tried this and nothing scrapes off - any residual paste seems to be locked onto the wall. The wall just feels a bit slimy when I rub a cloth or sponge over it.

I tried a Dulux tester pot on a small part of the wall last night and I think it did seem to react a little bit in places with the residual paste - either that or the paint in the tester pot isn't proper paint.

I might try some fabric conditioner with some hot water tonight as some people suggest that.

DIY Novice!

Sponsored Links
I think the fabric conditioner thing is to ease the stripping. I've used gardz many times over previously papered walls and its always been spot on. It sounds like you've still got some residual paste, it is a pain to eradicate so its up to you gardz or keep sugar soaping.

Right - Have spent nearly four hours this evening sponging the walls with a strong sugar soap solution, then scraping with a 4" blade, then scrubbing with a green scourer and then rinsing loads with hot water repeatedly. I'm knackered - nobody told me DIY was this exhausting.

Will the walls now be ok to paint straight onto tomorrow night? I've got some Dulux endurance paint.

No paste could stand that onslaught. I reckon you'll be fine. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back