Wallpaper and residue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Used a steamer to remove the wallpaper in the hallway and I am left with a yellow residue on the wall? I would think its the wallpaper paste. The plaster is in perfect condition below it so question; how do I remove the yellow stuff without damagingthe plaster underneath. I am going to just paint the walls once I am finshed.

many thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Use some hot soapy water and wet the wals, then use a broad scrapert o slide across the wall and get most of the paste off. Scrub the walls with more soapy water and rinse off. If you dont get it all off it will make the paint bubble up and flake off afterwards.

Ok using a mix of fabric softener and steaming isn't working!

I see to be doing more harm than good scrapping the old paste off. Its like a yellow colour and like a thin paint!

Any ideas before I completely ruin the plaster underneath!
:mad:
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ok now i see the picture, i didnt see it the first time. Thats not paste. It looks like old distemper, an old style of emulsion paint from the 40's and 50's.
It might be better to leave it on and seal it over. shouldnt cause you any problems really. Let it all dry out. A good rub down with aluminium oxide paper, then give it a coat of oil based undercoat. Any cheep brand will do. Thin it down. When dry carry on as normal, paint, paper whatever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back