Removing wallpaper glue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have stripped old wallpaper that was directly laid into plaster.

All the wallpaper is removed but we just can’t get the remaining glue residue off. You can’t really see it but the wall is sticky and can’t be sanded.

Any ideas on how to get this residue off? We have tried wallpaper solution, soap and water, soap bicarbonate and vinegar.

Sponsored Links
Lots of warm soapy water always worked for me. Get it good and wet, then keep is wet - use half a towel and keep rinsing it.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks both. Any ideas how to cover floors? We have a large dust sheet but I’m worried the water is just running down the walls and into the floor. Currently got no beading so expansion gap is exposed.

You can’t really see it but the wall is sticky and can’t be sanded.

I normally just sand it off using a 5" random orbital sander connected to a dust extractor.

The old paste should not be sticky though. Are the walls damp? Is the room very humid?

It was wet when I tried to sand it and the glue was just causing a grey layer on the sandpaper almost immediately causing it to stop working. Do you think I’d be able to send the remaining glue off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 190
If it is dry, then yes, sanding should be fine but if the sander is not connected to a vacuum it will be very dusty.

It was wet when I tried to sand it and the glue was just causing a grey layer on the sandpaper almost immediately causing it to stop working. Do you think I’d be able to send the remaining glue off?

If you are re-papering, you don't need to aim to get all of it off, you just need to achieve a smooth, flat surface. If you are intending to use lining paper, then paint, it needs to be well cleared of any lumps or any grit.

I was planning on painting and not using lining paper. Is this a bad idea?

if it's wallpaper paste (or PVA) you can soften it by brushing on warm water with half a drop of WUL per gallon, then a broad metal scraper will take off the soft sludge, and you can wipe it on your arm (or a rag or kitchen roll). If you need to get the last smear off, rub it with an old towel or coarse rags.

If you want to wet the whole wall (e.g. there are scraps of paper all over it) mist with a garden sprayer a couple of times, not letting it dry.

A painted wall does need to be free of glue.

Hi John.

There are no scraps I’ve removed all.

The problem is I can’t see the glue so it’s difficult to scrap it off. When I do use my wide scraper I get something off on certain parts of this wall but I think this is grey plaster rather than glue. If I could see it and not just feel it it would be a lot easier job.

I was planning on painting and not using lining paper. Is this a bad idea?

That depends upon the condition of the plaster underneath, paint will look really bad on poor plaster. Some people insist on using lining paper, even if the plaster is perfect. Lining paper is very cheap, but any grit under it will show up..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back