emulsion bubbling and flaking off wall in places

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i removed some really old wallpaper using a steamer, and then sugar soaped the walls to get off the remaining glue residue. I then used size whcih I hoped would seal the wall before covering with emulsion. Anyway, two coats of emulsion are now bubbling in places and flaking off. I assume that it is becuase all of the glue was not actually removed, or that I missed small areas with the size.

My question is, how do I go about repainting, avoiding the same thing happening? I tried repairing patches, sanding down, sugar soaping and emulsioning, but it happened again after another month.

Sponsored Links
The cause of your problem is the emulsion reactivating the size, you removed all the old paste with sugar soap, which was the correct thing to do, but then you re-pasted the wall with size which is after all just paste . Give the walls a sand down, remove any loose, flaking paint and then coat the walls with thinned oil based undercoat, when dry, do any filling needed followed by a light sanding and then you're ready for emulsioning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back