Emulsion bubbling and flaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our kitchen there is a patch on the wall (about 10" x 8") where the emulsion has been bubbling and flaking off. The plaster underneath has also become powdery.

The wall is plastered on the top of plasterboard - completed about six years ago. Underneath the plasterboard is an old internal wall. The entire plastered wall is dry (apart from a couple of spots about 2 inches by 3 inches which look a bit darker so may be slighly damp - although they are not damp to the touch) so I don't think this is a damp problem.

I'm not sure what to do. So far I have sanded it down to a solid surface.
I've heard about PVA being used to help provide the right foundation for subsequent layers of emulsion. Also about thinning down the 1st coat emulsion. There is also a product I've used in the shower room - a white anti condensation paint - but I'm not sure whether this could be used under a coat of coloured emulsion.

Please could you advise me on what steps I should take.

Sponsored Links
The plaster deterioration is a sure sign of dampness behind the patch.....whats behind the wall? Shower, drain, maybe?
John :)

There are no pipes, drains, showers etc behind the wall. The patches I mentioned are not really very damp and are in a couple of separate places. The kichen does get a fair amount of condensation when cooking. However the problem of the flaking emulsion and powdery plaster is only affecting a small area of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back