Removing wallpaper glue

The problem is I can’t see the glue so it’s difficult to scrap it off. When I do use my wide scraper I get something off on certain parts of this wall but I think this is grey plaster rather than glue.

is this after you have wetted it so the paste is sludge?

"grey plaster" can be polyfilla or similar

Sponsored Links
Hi John.

Yes. I can’t see glue but if I wet the wall it becomes obvious there is glue on it. It doesn’t seem the wash off just spreads around. I tried a scrap but I don’t get glue from it just fine grey bits which I think is the wall rather than the glue coming off.

You are using the scraper nearly flat to the wall? Like you were shaving it but with little pressure? And the paste is wet and soft?

You can also try a rough towel.

Paint over paste is likely to wrinkle or come off.

Hi John.
Sorry for the late reply. Yes I was doing that. I can’t tell whether I am shaving the wall off or it is glue that is coming off but it doesn’t look like glue. It is grey.

Sponsored Links
a strong sugar soap solution (sometimes neat) left on as directed and lots of elbow grease is the way to go.
Also a steam stripper can soften the glue, scraping with the blade aat a right angle to the wall too.
Yes the glue will be grey and you will have to do it several times to get it all off.

Having just done this on our stairwells for glue that must have been put up by a biblical figure it took us ages.

There is no satisfactory option to paint over it, no product you can get that enables the look a wall will give when without it - good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back