Resilent Bars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of installing these as one of my BTL's is terrible for noise between neighbours.

I can board and plaster no problem . Just wondering how easy these are to fit. Is it just a case of screwing them at 600mm horizontals then sound proof board and skim ?

Sponsored Links
This might help. The resiliant bars go on the studwork that has sound proofing material in between the studwork, and sometimes, you'll also need sound dampening material under the studwork otherwise it'll still transmit through, on other occasions, you'll make sure the studwork isn't even on the wall to isolate it completely.

All depends on just how bad the noise is.

This might help. The resiliant bars go on the studwork that has sound proofing material in between the studwork, and sometimes, you'll also need sound dampening material under the studwork otherwise it'll still transmit through, on other occasions, you'll make sure the studwork isn't even on the wall to isolate it completely.

All depends on just how bad the noise is.

I am not 100 % positive but this wall maybe plasterboard , rockwool, breeze block then not sure on otherside. Probably plasterboard. But the sound is bad. I sue to live in this house and it was bad. I have had 4 tenant in this house after me and all have complained.

Although it doesnt help that the landlrod who owns next door puts bad tenants in.

I looked at that website before and was thinking of screwing the resilent bar into the stud of my original wall then screwing blue board to resilent bars.

Unsure how effective it would be .

If there's crap tenants next door, then I suspect nothing will handle them, as the sound will just creep round the sound proofing. You need a stud wall that's not connected to the wall, and you need sound deadening bats in between the studs, and then the resiliant bars and sound deadening plasterboard.

Talk to the council about the issues with the tenants and the landlord. You'll get fobbed off, but somewhere in the council will be a team that deals with the real crap issues.

Sponsored Links
If there's crap tenants next door, then I suspect nothing will handle them, as the sound will just creep round the sound proofing. You need a stud wall that's not connected to the wall, and you need sound deadening bats in between the studs, and then the resiliant bars and sound deadening plasterboard.

Talk to the council about the issues with the tenants and the landlord. You'll get fobbed off, but somewhere in the council will be a team that deals with the real crap issues.
This doesnt sound ( No pun intended ) like a cost effective option or option due to space for this renter

She is in talks with environmental health already ( The tenant)

Would resilent bars then then blue board help , obviously yes but is it not worth the hassle for the outcome you would get

What makes you think there is rockwool behind the plasterboard. It might be worth investigating this, and taking the plasterboard down, and changing the rockwool. No, this isn't a cost effective solution for a rental property, as the problem lies next door. Environmental health is the first stop for noise problems, but they often just go through the motions, but you need to follow the rules before you can get to the next level guys. You can try the local councilor if the EH don't seem to be bothering much, as that tends to make them sit up and take notice.

What makes you think there is rockwool behind the plasterboard. It might be worth investigating this, and taking the plasterboard down, and changing the rockwool. No, this isn't a cost effective solution for a rental property, as the problem lies next door. Environmental health is the first stop for noise problems, but they often just go through the motions, but you need to follow the rules before you can get to the next level guys. You can try the local councilor if the EH don't seem to be bothering much, as that tends to make them sit up and take notice.
I use to live there, I think I saw it there where the pipes come out for radiator. There was definetely rockwool on the main walls ( Front and back) as I drilled into them .

To answer your original question, yes resilient bars are straightforward to fit; you do need to get exactly the right length screws but that’s not rocket science.

But I fear it will not help massively in this case, even with double layers of acoustic plasterboard. As landlord, it will not improve things enough to stop your tennant complaining. Your tennant will thank you for trying, but keep complaining and eventually move out.

They’re easy to fit, and screw plasterboard to, the drywall screws go into it no problem
FWIW I’ve put them in at my place in conjunction with rockwool slabs on a ceiling and it makes a big difference, which I’ve not seen before with just insulation. Appreciate there are other options but they worked for me in this instance and I’d use em again

If you've got plasterboard on the walls with rockwool behind it, then you can't fit the bars straight on to the plasterboard, so you'll need to strip back to get access to something more solid.

If the plasterboard is fixed to studs, you screw through into them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back