Resize garage doors prone to swelling in wet weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The wooden garage doors (in the attached picture) need to be resized or protected to stop them from repeatedly swelling in wet weather and then becoming stuck as they drag against the ground. Water tends to collect in a pool directly in front of/against the doors.

How best to do this, please?

I assume I remove them, shave a little off the bottom, and then apply a waterproof coating?

Or can then remain in situ, and a coating applied during the dry months when they work ok?

Any advice much appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-063050.png
    Screenshot_20220612-063050.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Thanks @HERTS P&D . Is it possible to apply a rubber seal of sorts? I don't want any moisture coming under the doors

Last edited:
The wooden garage doors (in the attached picture) need to be resized or protected to stop them from repeatedly swelling in wet weather and then becoming stuck as they drag against the ground. Water tends to collect in a pool directly in front of/against the doors.

You cannot stop wood expanding and contracting due to temperature and humidity, even internal doors do it - all you can do is allow for it. You need to have a few mm shaved off the bottom.

Sponsored Links
You cannot stop wood expanding and contracting due to temperature and humidity, even internal doors do it - all you can do is allow for it. You need to have a few mm shaved off the bottom.

Thanks that's helpful. So if I shave enough off to allow for the seasonal expansion, is there a rubber seal which I could attach that offers a barrier against water coming in under the door?

Water should not be coming under the doors, adjust the driveway or fit a channel drain at the front of the doors to direct the water away into a drain/gully.

Andy

Thanks that's helpful. So if I shave enough off to allow for the seasonal expansion, is there a rubber seal which I could attach that offers a barrier against water coming in under the door?

It is very unlikely you would manage to seal it with a rubber seal, it will creep past it. A more sensible solution is a dam on the concrete floor. You can buy ready made strips, which you seal against the floor, they were mentioned a few months ago in the forum.

It is very unlikely you would manage to seal it with a rubber seal, it will creep past it. A more sensible solution is a dam on the concrete floor. You can buy ready made strips, which you seal against the floor, they were mentioned a few months ago in the forum.

Yes I think I've seen these, called stormguard or something. I'll have a butchers. Thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back