Garage doors repeatedly stuck in wet weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The wooden garage doors (in the attached picture) need to be resized or protected to stop them from repeatedly swelling in wet weather and then getting stuck as they drag against the ground. Water tends to collect in a pool directly in front of/against the doors.

How best to do this, please?

I assume I remove them, shave a little off the bottom of each door, and then apply a waterproof coating?

Or can then remain in situ, and a protective waterproof coating applied during the dry months when they work ok?

I should also add I don't want any moisture coming under the doors at all

Any advice much appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220612-063050.png
    Screenshot_20220612-063050.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
My solution is for up and over metal doors but….
i have a rubber strip fitted to my door that drags on the floor as the door shuts, forming a semi seal as it folds up.
it’s not perfect as the drive slopes towards the garage, and the floor isn’t super smooth, but water ingress was limited to a small puddle in one area.
Then I fitted what is pretty much a small “speed bump” style strip that sits behind the door and seals against the floor with mastic.

Hi all

The wooden garage doors (in the attached picture) need to be resized or protected to stop them from repeatedly swelling in wet weather and then getting stuck as they drag against the ground. Water tends to collect in a pool directly in front of/against the doors.

How best to do this, please?

I assume I remove them, shave a little off the bottom of each door, and then apply a waterproof coating?

Or can then remain in situ, and a protective waterproof coating applied during the dry months when they work ok?

I should also add I don't want any moisture coming under the doors at all

Any advice much appreciated
What you want and what you can achieve are often two very different things.Unless you address the pooling then the problem will remain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back