Extending wood door and fitting weather bar.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I hope someone can help.

I am getting a front door fitted soon and to cut a long story short the door needs to made 2" longer to fit properly and I've already painted it up to it's final gloss coat. The door will also need a weather bar fitted as it's a front door. I want to get the door made to the right length and painted before fitting it for obvious reasons.
So, I was thinking:

Shall I add the 2" to the bottom of the door (glew+screw), make it flush and primer it then do the final coat all over. After which, a wooden weather bar can be fitted which will possibly hide any join?

Add the 2" to the top or bottom and get a metal weather bar?

Leave it all to the joiner but then i'd have to paint the doo after it's fitted which will be a right pain and it will probably rain for 2 weeks solid as soon as it's hung.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
in my opinion you have a 5- 10% chance off it working for more than a year without it showing and cracking

i would definitely put the join at the top as you will get a fraction off the rain at the top
but a new door is the only long term solution

what is the doors construction ??

it will look carp with added wood
all out off balance
and if you add to the bottom it will get far more rain from no protection from the frame/wall above but also all the water running down the door
remember wood expands across the grain and not with the grain
so your planted on bit will spend half the year 1mm longer or shorter than the width off the door

Sponsored Links
Why not fit a blanking plate of some description in the top of the frame to lose the 2"? With some beading or decorative woodwork you could make a feature out of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back