Fitting a external door weather bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to fit a weather bar to a friends wooden back door and I would like to know the best way to fit it.

I've seen them fitted so they fit between the door frame uprights leaving a small gap between the ends of the bar and the frame but I've also seen them fitted where the door frame is cut/chiselled/rebated a little to accomodate the bar.

Which is the better way?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Cut to fit the width between the jambs and take 2mm off for expansion. Don't cut into the jambs

If not already fitted, also fit a weather board to the bottom of the door if there is a problem with rain getting in

I think i might be getting mixed up with bars and boards, I was referring to the timber strip fixed across the bottom of the door (fitted to shed water away and provide a drip point).

The manufacturers/suppliers don't help by calling the part referred to above as both a weather board and a weather bar.
see:http://www.directdoors.com/?info=di..._directdoors=cb2b1123615c574d693ce5f2ab364d1d and http://www.distinctivedoors.co.uk/products/378-hardwood-weatherboard

Anyway thanks for the info.

I also need to source and fit the upright strip (6mm X frame width) that sits in a groove in the door frame sill. The original one was galvanised steel but was removed when the frame was not in use. I can't find anywhere that sell them separately. Apart from going to a steel stockist is there an alternative solution I could use?

Thanks again

That is a weatherboard, and again it is not notched into the door stops

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back