Restoring chimney breast opening. Issues with original brickwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to reinstate the original builders opening in a ground floor chimney breast. Concrete lintel to be installed as there’s no clear arch/lintel/support in the chimney breast at the moment. A simple enough job / no issues here.

The brickwork generally is in a bit of a state though. Previous owners have at various points installed a gas fire and knocked out sections of bricks to create small alcoves in the brickwork (see first picture)

EC4B0443-ED46-4E41-B45D-9BA8154E1149.jpeg

There’s a change in brickwork pattern at the alcoves. Below the bricks are all in the same orientation - they aren’t toothed together

Key question for me is whether this is cause for concern from a structural standpoint. It’s not something I’ve seen before, hence the concern

Is it something I should be looking to resolve ahead of plastering? Or it sound enough and will just be a case of filling the alcoves?

56DC4187-AACB-4B4B-B522-19AA776C11D9.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Whats it like inside, can you stick a camera phone in for a pic.

Blup

Whats it like inside, can you stick a camera phone in for a pic.

Blup
Cheers. There’s a lining in there by the looks (see below) so not a huge help I’m afraid in terms of brickwork.

Camera here angled towards where rear and right hand jamb meet

4FBB0C97-B045-4324-9321-E59C7089FC63.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The stretcher only bonded brickwork higher up suggests nothing being supported other than the wall above which the lintel would address. So logically any brickwork below can be removed. But depending on the design of the flue internally there may be other parts of the wall supporting it.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back