Chimney breast problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm lookjing for a bit of advice on something.

In both bedrooms we have the following layout of the chimney breast.

View media item 16669
View media item 16668
The alcove on the right isnt full height like the one to the right, this is mirrored on the next bedroom, the stack forms a triangle shape between these two.

The alcove on the right has a lintel running across between the two breasts supporting a single skin of brickwork between it. What I want to do is knock out this brickwork to make both sizes even.

What I was thinking of doing is knocking out the four courses of bricks and reinstating the lintel at ceiling level, I apreciate it may render the chimney unusable, its not an issue really as all the fireplaces are blocked off anyhow.

as much as I would rather they were both even, my suggestion to the other half was to box in the other side to match, I think she would rather the harder option.

Just wondering if anyone has done similar and or if my suggestion is dangerous.
[/img]

Sponsored Links
as much as I would rather they were both even, my suggestion to the other half was to box in the other side to match, I think she would rather the harder option.[/img]

That's women for you.

If you are going to the trouble of disturbing brickwork and re-positioning lintels why not support at ceiling level and take the entire breasts down to floor level? Or take the stacks and breasts out completely while you are at the 'messy' stage.

I suspect ultimately you are correct, removal of the top half of the stack would be the ideal soloution, however I would either need to support the stack on a lintel/gallows bracket for the near future until the roof is replaced and it would be done away with then.

However all requires building regs approval, whereas I was hoping inserting the lintel into a higher position would not, the task is within my capabilities however I am trying to talk myself out of it :LOL:

As a sidenote, do you like the flowery wall paper from the 1930's? even the ceiling was done the same, bet that was a bit overpowering.

However all requires building regs approval, whereas I was hoping inserting the lintel into a higher position would not,

It will.

As a sidenote, do you like the flowery wall paper from the 1930's? even the ceiling was done the same, bet that was a bit overpowering.

Wall paper is not my cup of tea at all - I quickly learnt to plaster ;)
PS. I don't think it's 70 year old wallpaper :oops:

Sponsored Links
There appears to be three layers of paper, the most recent was added in the early 70's going by the writing on the paper below :LOL: as for the other 3 layers, who knows lol.

Anyhow, I've made the decision that it's too much effort for too little gain so she will have to live with it :LOL: just need to get on with stripping the walls ready for plastering now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back