restoring quarry tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently dug up my living room floor of quarry tiles and am hoping to lay them in my conservatory. However, they are decades old and very dirty. I have tried to clean them with a variety of solutions but have got nowhere. How can I restore them to their former glory????

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks for the reply. The stains are very ingrained on some of the tiles. Do you really think Linseed oil will do the trick? I imagined some kind of industrialised chemical soloution. However, i'm willing to give anything a try. Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Copy & paste from another forum.

SUBJECT: Cleaning Tiles
We are in the process of buying a Victorian rectory on Ceredigion. There are original quarry tiles in the kitchen(black/red), scullery (black) and hall (mosaic). The tiles have been sadly neglected, but we want to keep them. Can you direct me to advice on how to renovate the tiles.

Jo Coughlan

There should soon be an item on cleaning and sealing floor tiles on this site - a good cleaner is Lithofin Victorian Tiled Floor Restorer and a good sealer is HG Golvpolish. You should be able to get these from good tile retailers. If the tiles tiles are laid on earth, or on a lime bed on earth, they should not be sealed as they need to breath to avoid damp being trapped. The "original" tile finish was a clear oil and of course this still allows the tile to breath. Try Slate Dressing from a fireplace shop, this is colourless and will give a richness to the tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back