Restoring rusty old iron wall bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I have a rusty old, once painted, wall bracket for a hanging basket. So far I've tried to attack it with a flat-bladed screwdriver to knock off all the muck, old paint and rust.

Anyone know how I should make the surface suitable for painting?

What sort of paint would be best for it?

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
Paint stripper first

Then wire brush for the rust. A hand one or one in an electric drill. Wear goggles as the steel whiskers fly off.

You can get metal primers for iron and steel that inhibit rust. Your paint shop or DIY shed will have shelves full.

Don't use Hammerite - rust grows underneath it and it is too shiny to repaint.

Got some the other day from the car accessories shop called Loctite Rust Remedy as the rusts turn to black to neutralises into a hard layer ready for painting.

Get a plastic container big enough to fit the bracket in. Get some acid central heating descaler. Mix it up about normal to twice normal strength. Soak bracket overnight, then check to see how it's getting on. This will remove ALL the rust. Rinse and dry then paint quickly or rust will form.

It's a surprise how well this works.

Sponsored Links
thanx people :)

I've sorted it best I can and repainted it. Looks ok :)

Hanging basket will soon be off the floor when I get around to putting the thing up :)

diykat said:
I've sorted it best I can ..............

Er, no you haven't unless you dunked it in descaler. That would have chemically removed the rust right down to the base metal. So, if you haven't done that, then it is not the best you could have done.

I gave it a good scrub with wire brush. Unfortunately I'd already painted it before I saw the advice about the derusting chemical dip.

Can't just get a new wall bracket as this one has sentimental value - made by my black-smith great uncle who died a few years back.

thanx everyone for the advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back