Restriction in Deeds for a chalet on the plot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

OK I'm dreaming a bit here incase the euromillions comes up trumps...

but if I won loads of money I'd like to demolish my current 60s chalet and replace it with something that more suits our needs layout wise.

The deeds say the plot can only have a chalet on.

After 50 odd years does this still stand..how can you get it rescinded..who enforces it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Who enforces it indeed?

Covenants are usually put in by the builders etc, but if they go out of business or have moved on then who's to prevent you.

there is a covenant in my area,i:e no one is allowed to have any kind of fenceing to our front gardens,last year someone put up a 4'picket fence without any problems so im assuming that once 1 person has done something then i wouldve thought everyone could now do it?

if you do win,could you lend me a few quid plz ;)

Generally, covenants can only be enforced by the person benefiting from them, but they do run with the land and so the benefit can pass to subsequent owners.

But even when the original benefiter is long gone (ie developers) then the covenant may still be enforceable by others.

Also if it can be proven that the reasons for the covenant have now past, or it was intended only for a limited period or specific purpose, then the covenant becomes unenforceable

Sponsored Links
What happens when you want to sell and the buyer's solicitor checks through the covenants . . . . . . .

Anyway what is a chalet anyway - we stayed in one in France (timber built alpine style) with four bedrooms and three bathrooms on three floors.

Can`t put up a building of less value than £ 400 (in my deeds from 1924) So there goes my £150 shed from Focus :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back