Resurfacing an office/bar work surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I inherited an outbuilding with a fairly cheap and shoddy desk which I've put up with until now.

I'm using it now as an office but it's morphing into more of a man cave/bar type affair. I'd like a smoother finish to the desk (you can see the rough pine & gaps in the photos). What would be the easiest option for someone with limited DIY skills? I was thinking of some thin MDF over the top else replace all the boards with gaps between them and fit a single piece of MDF.

NB - I have no carpentry power tools....not skills for that matter!

View media item 106108
View media item 106107

Attachments

• 20210220_132138.jpg
    20210220_132138.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210220_132145.jpg
    20210220_132145.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
You will probably find that if you attempt to glue another later onto the desk, such as hardboard, MDF or thin plywood, that the entire desk top will start to curl up in due course. Our forebears (and even my mum) used to cover old tables with table cloths or oil cloths, which may work for you. Alternatively what about sanding the top, sealing with a couple of coats of clear semi-matt lacquer, then filling the gaps between with clear silicon sealant, smoothed off carefully with a "silicon finger"?

You will probably find that if you attempt to glue another later onto the desk, such as hardboard, MDF or thin plywood, that the entire desk top will start to curl up in due course. Our forebears (and even my mum) used to cover old tables with table cloths or oil cloths, which may work for you. Alternatively what about sanding the top, sealing with a couple of coats of clear semi-matt lacquer, then filling the gaps between with clear silicon sealant, smoothed off carefully with a "silicon finger"?
Thanks, that's a great idea - sanding smooth then sealing - maybe some kind of varnish even. Is there a sealant for the gaps that dries to a hard finish unlike bathroom sealant?

Single sheet 18mm Mdf , get it cut for you, very easy fix and a coat of danish oil will seal.

Sponsored Links
Is there a sealant for the gaps that dries to a hard finish unlike bathroom sealant?
The problem is that timber moves, so if you do put a hard sealant in between two pieces of timber (which may or probably won't be well fixed together) it will almost invariably crack at some point or another

If you glue it you run the risk of it curling upwards (like I said before). Screw it down, or better still screw it from the underside. Just check your screw lengths carefully - you don't want the points piercing the surface

Last edited by a moderator:
If you glue it you run the risk of it curling upwards(like I said before). Screw it down, or better still screw it from the underside (just check your sctew lengths carefully)
noted, thanks.

Paint them? Resurface them, keep them the same? Oil them (and the hinges ha!) (As well as open and close them)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back