retaining garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my retaining wall is crumbling on the top layer of bricks, its only around 7 years old how can i stop it from crumbling further

Sponsored Links
Crumbling? So bits of brick falling away or is the pointing coming out?

Chances are its frost over the winter has blown the more porous facing bricks used, causing fragments of the brick to "crumble" off. Could be that there is no DPM behind the wall so water is saturating the bricks and freezing over the winter.

How deep are the bricks crumbling?
If you have lost more than 1/3rd of the overall wall width then you might want to consider some rebuilding works to strengthen the wall.

Ive a front garden wall thats been loosing bits of brickwork for years.. i just sweep them up every spring and consider rebuilding the wall to match all the neighbours lovely new walls.. then i go and buy a new sofa instead..

All that aside, check for major horizontal cracks in the wall.. check how much its tilting forward (or backwards).. maybe show us some photos

ps.. sorry didnt answer the original question.. you could move the wall to a warmer country that doesnt have winter frosts, you could pray for global warming.. course a more practical solution would be rebuild the wall in engineering bricks with a proper damp proof membrane behind it.

Thanks for the help 'static'. I'm now considering moving the wall to Australia !! Nah like you i'll fix it next year, or the year after, and like you keep picking up the bits.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back