Retaining Wall Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a garage which is attached to the side of my 1930's house (Brick) I want to build a basement in to the garage as a full height (2.4m) room.

The dimensions are 8m x 4m for the garage.

Advice from a local building company:
Build the basement in 0.5m from the existing wall on the property using 6" blocks and back filling with re-bar concrete. This would give me a healthy 3.5m x 8m basement and the retaining wall/concrete will support my existing property comfortably.

I want to keep an eye on costs for doing this.

Is there any better way to do this that could avoid a disaster as I have conserns over the existing property collapsing..and also the retaining wall that will also be used to support a pre fab concrete floor also collapsing when the concrete is poared down the back to support existing wall/foundations.

//www.diynot.com/network/JDVision/albums/

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
If that builder is qualified to design these things, rather than it just being a guess, then do as he says.

Otherwise have the thing properly designed and specified

Building control will need to approve the work and you may also need planning permission if you were not already aware

Ditto above, get it done properly and you wont be on the phone to the insurance company begging them to reconsider your claim when they laugh down the phone at you..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back