Retaining Wall Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for some help in building a retaining wall. I'm OK with everything apart from the size of the actual wall. I'm especially thinking about the height and thickness and materials to be used. I have some blocks already which I'm hoping will do the job but I'm more and more unsure the more I read.

Take a look at the photos I have attached so you can get an idea of what I'm doing. I'm thinking of going down about 600mm and laying the blocks on the side, so 215mm thick. If my measurements are correct the first wall would be about 900-1100mm and the second layer about the same. (Ignore the picture of the blocks as I was only trying to get an idea of what it might look like.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Sponsored Links
215mm is ok up to about 600mm height. 1100mm is a more serious affair and not to be taken lightly.

Using dense concrete block 7N you would be best off laying the first foot in 440 then the next foot in 315 then the rest in 215. You also need a decent wide footing something like 650mm

The most important thing with retaining walls is the drainage behind them being sorted properly.

Its worth considering the face finish as retaining walls are prone to staining from constant water saturation. Eit
her wateerproof the back of the walls if rendering or if facing in brick leave a small cavity. obviously if facing with brick the block wall thickness could be reduced.

Thanks for the reply. I suspected as much in terms of the width. I think I was hoping to get away with less materials.

One thing to check is the depth. is 600mm sufficient?

I take your point about the staining. I plan on running drainage at the back of the wall which leads to a drain at the side, just out of shot in the pictures. In terms of water penetration I was thinking about an outer skin in brick as well. But again I'm thinking off cost. Do I have any other options to prevent water staining the front which I had planned to render.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back