Retaining wall and shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking for some advice regarding building a shed behind a retaining wall.

I am looking at building a 10' x 10ft shed set onto a concrete base basically where the gazebo is shown in the pictures with the plan to use it as a gym.

My question is will this cause failure of the retaining wall due to the extra load behind it?

The height difference between the two levels is around 1m and the retaining wall has another two courses of 7n blocks below grass level and onto foundations. There is about 8" of gravell behind the wall and drainage holes.

Does anyone see any issues with this and if so can you offer any solutions?

thanks
Trevor

Sponsored Links
for just a shed it will have no effect, a masonary building would need more consideration.

Put a bit of steel mesh in your concrete as fill behind retaining walls is unstable and tends to settle badly and may crack your slab.

Great thanks for the reply. Good advice about the mesh in the concrete, I will difinetley do that. What sort of size mesh should i use for a 3" concrete base on 3" of compacted hardcore?

thanks
Trevor

Sponsored Links
you can't have a 3 inch concrete base thats too thin especially if you have mesh in it.

I would keep your 3 inches of hardcore and bump your slab up to 100mm

ok no worries will have 3" of compacted hardcore then 4" of concrete. Thanks again for your help.

cheers
Trevor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back