Retaining wall for railway embankment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My garden adjoins a railway embankment. When we moved in, the bottom 15 feet of the garden was overgrown with conifers and laurel that I've slowly been clearing.

The ground starts to slope up to the railway before our boundary so I'm planning on incorporating one or two 'steps'.

At the boundary, I'm not sure whether to have fencing or a wall. I'm concerned that fencing may succumb to movement of earth from the railway.

Do I need to think of a retaining wall? If so, how do you calculate what it is retaining. It's not like the wall needs to support the embankment (hopefully!!), or is it?

Access is an issue as the house extension means to get to the garden, you have to go through the house.

I'm a total noob (if that wasn't already clear!) and happy to get the pros in if necessary but would like to do a lot myself.

Thanks

Michael

Sponsored Links
Is it clear where your boundary is? Doing any work near a railway embankment without clear advise is a bad idea. Contact rail authority as suggested, any chance of a photo? Are we talking a 45 degree slope or a gentle gradient?

Sponsored Links
theres a fair chance the bit on the embankment has been "borrowed " over the years without permission have you looked on the deeds off your house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back