Retaining wall problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi .... never posted on here before so please bare with me!

I have a 6 foot retaining wall at the front of my property which has a constant stream of water running through it. The water has now worn away a lot of the gaps between the stone and I am worried it will come down.

Apparently there is an underwater stream behind this wall but I am not sure who I need to contact or what I need to do to get it fixed.

There are holes at the bottom of the wall but the water does not come out of here .... its just running through the wall itself.

The retaining wall runs for a long way as it has about 10 houses behind it but the part outside my house is the only one with this problem.

A builder wouldnt be able to just come and fill in the gaps the water has caused as there is water pouring through!

Dont know what to do! Any advice appreciated! HELP!

Sponsored Links
Environment Agency might be a good place to begin. I dont think you'd be allowed to do much with the stream without their prior approval, and it seems the 'leaking' from the stream is behind your current problems.

Could do with some more info on the stream, does it just drain from higher ground or could there be surface water drains discharging into it? (From paved areas or properties. In which case it could be classed as a sewer.)

Also consider contacting your Water Authority, it may be a damaged drain or water supply pipe causing the problem

Weepholes often clog up, chances are the best solution would be to dig up the entire rear of the wall and lay a new perforated drain. clean out the weepholes and fix the bad sections of the wall..

Wont be cheap..

Sponsored Links
Apparently there is an underwater stream behind this wall but I am not sure who I need to contact or what I need to do to get it fixed.

It's your responsibility.

If you own land adjacent to a watercourse, then you are what is known as a " riparian owner " , and as such, have certain rights and responsibilities - one of which is to maintain the banks or structure retaining the water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back