Retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am going to be building a retaining wall this weekend on a sloped garden. The wall will be 215mm wide and 1000mm high. I am struggling to find what mortar mix would be correct for this application. I though 1:5 of cement to builders sand would suffice but some places on the internet say it should be stronger for retaining walls and more like 1:3.5 cement to sand.

Also some say i should be using sharp sand and not builders sand.

Would appreciate any comments on the above two points as i am confussed as to what to do.

thanks
Trevor

Sponsored Links
use building sand or soft sand at four sand to one cement and you won't go far wrong.

Anything between 1:3 and 1:5 but its really not that important and you won't get it exact whatever you do.

1:5 will be fine

The way you deal with drainage behind the wall, the copings and the pointing will have a greater impact on the performance of the wall than the mix

Hi, Trevor,
all the above answers are right enough.
however, theoretically it depends what bricks you are using,
if class B engineering or other strong impervious bricks, it's 3-1.
If flettons (commons) or other LBC house bricks then 5-1
And as Woody says, don't forget to bed some weep tubes across the wall.

Sponsored Links
thanks for replies guys....will be starting on this tonight so fingers crossed the rain will stay away all weekend!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back