RETAINING WALL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some advice on how to build a retaining wall, to hold back soil. The garden of the property backs onto a field which slopes down onto my land. I want to excavate this slope to make a flat surface, which will leave a vertical drop of 1.5 metres from the high surface of the field, down to my new flat hardstanding area. How do I know the thickness, reinforcing, footing details? Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I can advise you if you decide to shutter it with forms and pour concrete.
Not cheap but the ultimate "reatining wall" IMO.

750mm deep x 450mm wide mass foundations to 150mm below ground level

215mm brickwork with mesh bed reinforcement every 450mm. English/Flemish or one of their garden wall bonds.

Allow for drainage behind the wall via land drain or weep holes

If the wall exceeds 8m, then you may require piers or movement joints

750mm deep x 450mm wide mass foundations to 150mm below ground level

215mm brickwork with mesh bed reinforcement every 450mm. English/Flemish or one of their garden wall bonds.

Allow for drainage behind the wall via land drain or weep holes

If the wall exceeds 8m, then you may require piers or movement joints
Hmm.. would fail in overturning.. maybe you ment 450mm deep x 750mm wide footing.. would advice also to widen the wall width at the bottom to about 450mm to get more brickwork mass.. engineering bricks..

All of this is alot dependant on what soil you are bearing onto and angle behind the wall..
Also do you intend to fix a fence or handrail to the top..
And do large farm vehicles trundle around the field above the wall?

Sponsored Links
Hmm.. would fail in overturning..

Nope .... they are still up - and plumb :cool:

But seriously, I hope the OP gets more specific advice relevent to the local site conditions rather than rely on a forum

The pillars on woodies should help and a low backfill or filled with layered aggregate. Obviously his site conditions may be different.

I know of a shuttered wall 6.6 m tall x 90m long which was under specced.
Its filled to the top on one side with heavy clay and drops down to the back gardens of several homes 6.3m down.
From the base of the wall to the back of the homes is about 12 meters of garden.

Its full of hair cracks and leaning.
The houses are not sold yet. The project was finished about 3 years ago.
Credit crunch! Ouch.

But it will be more of a crunch if the wall fails with occupants in the homes. :(
The homes on the upper level would also see their gardens dissappear.
We completed a slightly smaller one on the same site and thought we had this big one but another contractor got the job.
An SE was involved with the one we did. Not sure if one was involved on the other. Corners were cut I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back