Footing for low retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to build a low retaining wall, roughly 4 meters long and 1.5/2 foot high. It won't have a great deal of weight behind it, just the same depth of soil sloping away.

I'm looking for advice on how deep and wide the footing should be assuming it should be a concrete mix, it will be yorkshire stone i'll be reusing from the garden, and is the concrete fine to go straight onto the soil which is very clay like.

Also would I need to plan in any sort of drainage for a wall this low?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Martin,
I would connect the retaining wall to the footing using starter bars, so as to prevent forward movement.
As a standard I would expect the footing to be between 400 and 600mm.
However if I was constructing this wall I would construct a toe returning the same height as the rise.
I would pour a toe with a kicker and water bar, installing L shaped rebar, then on a second pour place a concrete wall behind York stone cladding.
Drainage, is not a bad idea as this would reduce Hydoststic pressure behind and would be a French drain design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back