retaining walls for Levelling Garden Slope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am hoping to solve the problem of a slope at the back of my garden by dropping the back down a level.

sketch1559677019484-png.165781

We have explored filling it up, or getting a decking area built up. But to maintain some level of privacy, dropping it down, even by only a few dozen cm's, seems the most practical and coat effective option.

We do not have a side entrance so want to avoid bringing too much through the house - so this automatically rules out building it up to level it anyway.

Also, building a step down, and creating a different level from the rest of the garden, even as slight as it is, would mean we wouldn't have to remove any ground, but simply redistribute what is already forming the slope to make one level surface. This will then primarily serve as an area for storage bits.

In order to support this new level, we need to build four small retaining walls - each around 0.75-1m high to support shifting the ground around to level it out.

The four walls

1. One to stop pressure on the back fence of the opposite neighbours (4.5m long)

2. One to support the edge of the garden which is not being dropped (4.5m long)

3+4. Two either side where our neighbouring fences are (3.6m long).

As a result, the majority of the retaining walls will be buried in the soil. So I want to ensure I am using the right materials - that are durable and will withstand being buried in the soil.

I have some (what I think are) dense concrete breeze blocks that I have sourced from Freecycle (pictured)... And although I'll need a lot more, does anyone know if these are suitable?

img_20190604_154322-jpg.165782

And any advice as to how to lay them? Dig a trench, concrete footing, then mortar and build? Or should I be using different building materials altogether?

Attempting to shift the dirt around, while I'll essentially have to stand in the middle of the space to build the walls is one of my main concerns.

Other ideas about levelling down welcome - we have explored everything from building a raised decking to growing plants/flowers etc. But as this is a DIY job the levelling down feels like the most realistic / simple enough for us to do - plus not keen on maintaining a flower bed.

Thanks in advance
VM

Attachments

• sketch1559677019484.png
    sketch1559677019484.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,487
  • IMG_20190604_154322.jpg
    IMG_20190604_154322.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 617
Sponsored Links
the concrete blocks are fine.

basically you need to dig a trench around the 3 sides, pilling the stuff in the middle.

Im not sure if you will need to lay the blocks flat or upright -but they need to resist the pressure.

Also there will need to be drainage holes to stop water pressure build up.

Maybe some reinforcing bar will be needed to increase strength.

Thank you! Good point. That's another thing I was wondering...

Whether to lay them on narrow or wide side? Assumed wide side for better support?

Then drainage... Where would I face the end of the pipe? Into the neighbouring gardens? o_O not sure ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back