Retiling/re-grouting bathroom walls - advice sought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to DIY. Me and the Missus have recently bought our first home together and due to the shower water leaking through the grout and giving the neighbours damp problems I'm doing some DIY and would like some advice.

This is an interior bathroom with no interior walls. I'm not sure what kind of drywall is underneath. Once I started removing the grout around the tiles where the shower water was spraying the tiles started popping off the wall. It seems that the grout was the only thing holding some of them on.

Now a lot of tiles have come off this way (see the pictures below) and I think even more will. All tiles so far are in one piece and I'd like to reuse them so I have a few questions.

1 Will I have to remove the dry cement on the back of the tiles and on the wall. If so what's the best way of doing it quickly?

2 Will I have to remove a whole row of tiles where just one or two have fallen out for it to look good?

3 Some of the tiles near the ceiling are close to popping off but the grout around them seems uncracked. Should I remove them and re-tile them anyway?

4 For the grout to look good and not crack should I remove the whole row along the wall or just remove up to where good uncracked grout is?

5 Are re-cementing and re-grouting the only steps needed?

Also if you look at the pictures and can give any other advice please do. As I say I'm completely new to DIY but I want the end result to look ok.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I think this is going to turn into a bigger job than you want it to.

If the neighbours are getting a damp wall then your drywall isn't dry any more and is going to be shot. Looks like un-tanked ply anyway which isn't a good surface to tile to.

I think before your finished you will have stripped that entre wall and replaced the dry wall.

If you replace use a waterproof drywall like Marmox.

It will be a biggish job so you might want to get someone in if you're not up for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back