Retro building regs on loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My partner bought a house in 2020 as a cash purchased she has tried borrowing 10% of the value on a mortgage to pay some bills but thr lender has refused based on their being a loft conversion they are saying isn't compliant with building regs

From my research this conversion has been in place since atleast 2002 when it was previously sold. I don't know what's not compliant apart from potentially the stairs which may or may not be a little steep.

What would you recommend as our next course of action ideally we want to borrow a little, the house is 100% owned currently without a mortgage or we would like to sell. Is there a way of applying retro to get building regs signed off ? It's been there over 20 years so what's the worst case scenario for us?

Appreciate your opinions

Sponsored Links
Others might have better suggestions but if you have a friendly builder maybe get him round to see if they can see the shortcomings, maybe with the promise they will get the job if it comes to it. If not then a reputable architect should know what to look for but there might be an initial cost for their time,.

If a bank has picked up on it then it's high in your interests to rectify it, which will include submitting a new building regs notification to get it signed off, otherwise you will find it could put many potential buyers off when you come to sell. It possibly might also affect your house insurance in the event of a fire as well.

Loft conversions can be quite involved though so it's best you really get to the bottom of what's not compliant.

HTH

Means of escape, complete lack of structural design/suitable structure, lack of insulation, could be all sorts.

Thanks for the replies bit surprised that my solicitor didn't pick up on this when I purchased the property (assuming the person before me managed to get a mortgage on it too without issues) mine was a cash purchase. Also that the estate agent managed to sell it as a 3 bed if it wasn't signed off. The next question if it was done prior to 2002 could it be that it was signed off and did comply at that time?

Sponsored Links
It was a different era back then, a lot less litigious. It was either signed and was compliant or it wasn't. Do you have any idea when it was converted?

Thanks for the replies bit surprised that my solicitor didn't pick up on this when I purchased the property (assuming the person before me managed to get a mortgage on it too without issues) mine was a cash purchase. Also that the estate agent managed to sell it as a 3 bed if it wasn't signed off. The next question if it was done prior to 2002 could it be that it was signed off and did comply at that time?
The onus is normally on the seller to announce any conversion works done and to provide the completion cert. The solicitor just asks the seller the question so they wont know whether anything has been done or not, nor will the Estate agent know or likely care - as long as the works are not a completely obvious bodge job.

It was a different era back then, a lot less litigious. It was either signed and was compliant or it wasn't. Do you have any idea when it was converted?
Unsure but looks like in 2002 it was sold as a 3 bed so must have been there then, we purchased in 2019, attached photos of the conversion its a dormer can't think why they said irs not compliant apart from maybe stairs are steep

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231023-202157_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023-202157_Chrome.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20231023-202207_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023-202207_Chrome.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 65
I agree - try a different lender. Seems very pedantic to refuse a 10% mortgage on the possibility a development isn't compliant. How do they know if they don't know when it was done? Our stairs are at 45 degrees and they are the originalsi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back