Retro fitting LED lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning
Advice please
I’m removing a couple of old glass/metal light fittings ( no earth connections)
They are mounted on existing 2BA screws centrally over a round steel conduit box (BESA?)
The flex is in to fitting is just off centre, but pos through and terminates ok.

I want to fit a Screwfix dome fitting in place

Integral LED central to the base
Cable entry is off centre and doesn’t align with any part of the conduit box.

The ceiling has been Artexed with a circular patter around the original light.

If I mount the light off centre to align cable entry , the finished effect will look crap.
Can’t drill a new cable entry into concrete ceiling
How do I route flex across the rear of the fitting and into new fitting?
I am concerned flex will be brushed when fitting is screwed to ceiling via 3 new positions as no holes in fitting for conduit box screws to use?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Your link it to the Screwfix site not the lamp . Should be possible to rotate the lamp so access is close to wiring and break out ceiling plaster to route it thru . Or drill new access hole in lamp base to align .

Can’t drill new hole as the led module is mounted centrally on the lamp base
Rotating the base doesn’t help alignment as the base needs to be central over the conduit box otherwise the appearance would look cowboyish if the fitting isn’t in the centre of the Artex circular pattern.
Not fussy on chipping out the plaster as ceiling is rendered and then skimmed.
I’m considering packing the base off the ceiling with some plastic window trim

Sponsored Links
I did try and see what screwfix offer, and it seems they do not list which are class I and which are class II, the conduit is likely your earth, but I tried to get a class II light fitting for mothers house before it was rewired, and had to go to a special site to buy one, and when it arrived it looked identical to the lamp sold by B&Q for ½ the price. It just had a 1707825415285.png class II marking.

So it depends if the light can be modified to fit the conduit box, the traditional 2D fluorescent fitting had the tube attached off centre, so the centre was free for cable entry. I would walk into my friendly electrical whole sale outlet, with a template of where you want the hole, and ask them what they have got.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back