Retro-fitting thermal breaks to older property.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I've been lurking here for a long time as a guest. I've picked up a lot of useful info, but now I need to share something...

Our house was built around 1915-1916. It has cavity walls with double brick outer leaf and single brick inner. There is a horizontal bitumen damp course, but the cavitys around the window openings are just closed with brickwork. Penetrating damp isn't an issue, but I'd like to do something about heat loss. It's a cold hungry old house and the only way gas prices are going to go is up.

I've done an exploratory on one of the window openings. It'll be comparatively easy to knock out the brick closers, make good and leave an open cavity. I was thinking of then closing the cavity with a thermal break closer from Screwfix, maybe bonding it in with expanding foam.

I really want to know if there is a beter product and or method to achieve this. Has anyone done it, or does anyone want to tell me my house will fall down?

Sponsored Links
Well after a bit more research on the old interweb, I'm going to drop in at a merchants tomorrow to buy a few lengths of Thermabate cavity loser and then make a start.

Keep the internal doors closed. Easiest way.

I was thinking that the amount of heat lost through the return brick must be pretty small, compared to your uninsulated cavity and your single glazing, don't know if the effort and brick dust will be repaid?

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
I was thinking that the amount of heat lost through the return brick must be pretty small, compared to your uninsulated cavity and your single glazing, don't know if the effort and brick dust will be repaid?

I agree, but I'm having new windows fitted shortly and cavity wall insulation is on the wish list. I'm just making good the shortcomings as I go along. Like a bitumen damp course that bridges the cavity and traps all manner of damp muck above. Like floor joists that go right through to the outer leaf!

The amount of brick dust is surprisingly small. I'm using an SDS chisel.

Cavity wall insulation can be had relatively cheaply and certainly a hell of a lot cheaper than new windows, many of the energy suppliers offer subsidised schemes. Just do a search for cavity wall insulation on google. It should bring up a few of them.

Andrew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back