Retrofit Wet UFH on exisitng slab using pre grooved XPS boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so the title says it all really but heres all my considerations.

Boliler is Pellet boiler that heats a thermal store.

Pre exisitng slab insualtion properties unknown so assume no insualtion.

We have Wet UFH in the extension side of our house and all other downstairs rooms have Electric UFH with 10mm XPS boards under it and it works well but not ideal as a main source of heat due to running costs.

We have the opertunity to retro fit a wet UFH system to the room we are renovating, we dont have the funds to dig the slab so we have appro 30/40mm of height ti fit some insualtion boards in with pre grouved pipe runs and then use my exisitng UFH controls along with a new manifold/pump in the room where the UFH will be fitted.

In the room where its being fitted I also have the main 25mm heating pipe running through it so tapping into it is not a problem.

I was going to remove the existing rads and terminate the 10mm drops so if the UFH doesnt seem efficent enough I could re instate the rads.

So my question is how well do these systems perform in reality? As said I already have UFH all be it in my slab and with 150mm of insualtion under it so will this really works with what will probably be about 20 mm of insualtion under it?

The floor finish is most probably going to be enginered wood.

Any advise or experience would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back