Retrospective Planning Application

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was contacted by my local planning dept to say that I need to make a retrospective application for a grain silo which I have erected on my land and intend for use as an artists studio. The land is greenbelt/brownfield having been previously developed as a water pumping station and a building has been in situ for more than 100 years. The existing building has B1 use, but is not large enough to be of any use. I believe there is an article 4 in place to prevent further development. The land is just under an acre and surrounded by large agricutural fields. It is not a conservation area and has electricity pylons and a solar farm nearby. I was told by the planning officer that I shoud engage a planning consultant, but I don't even know where to start...aren't they really expensive?

Sponsored Links
.aren't they really expensive

It's all down to perspective. I think Waitrose is expensive, but they seem to get lots of customers.

By all acounts you have contravened planning policy, so you don't just want any old Joe to draw plans and fill a form in, but you want some expert advice from someone who actually knows about planning matters and policy.

Just remember that cost does not always relate to expertise, quality or value. Get fee quotes and an idea of all potential costs and disbursements from several local people.

Wasn't this guy's house built around some old grain silos. No wonder your Planners are getting jumpy.

upload_2018-12-14_14-0-32.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Planning consultants are expensive ,and they usually require somebody else to produce drawings to go with the planning application ,but if they help you obtain planning permission !

Thanks for the replies! I think I've rather painted myself into a corner... I shoudn't have put up the silo (see attached) without researching more thoroughly. I was told that silos didn't need pp and just assumed that it would be ok. Now I'm up the creek without a paddle... I don't have very much in savings (£5k) and if I spend it all on a planning consultant, I won't be able to finish the studio... it is an empty shell atm...
One thing; the two planning officers who visited told me I would get a letter within 2 weeks but nothing came in the post. I chased them up by email as they had left a card. They apologised saying they had been busy, and to get a planning consultant involved, but they still haven't written to me formally... I don't know if there is a time limit to comply with a submission for retrospective planning permission ... Should I keep chasing them for a formal (rather than verbal) notice to comply do you think?

I had to laugh at the house built around the silos... so funny! What would be the purpose of keeping the silos inside the house... shouldn't it be the other way around? Is this the guy who built a kind of mediaeval castle and surrounded it with straw bales for 4 years?

Attachments

• -11.jpg
    -11.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 314
I might have misunderstood the situation, but what are you waiting for the planners to write to you about, they have already visited you and said a retrospective planning application is required for the silo ? You might be able to get some free preliminary advice from a planning consultant or architect before making an application.

Oh... yes, I remember that 'castle'... I didn't really like it, but each to his own! It's a shame that they had worked so hard...
Hmmm... I think I may definitely need some help filling in the application form, although it's quite simple in that I shall be asking for retrospective permission to replace the redundant water pumping station with a silo, which will effectively give me double the space but without increasing the footprint. There are lots of silos in the area and it seems to suit the agricultural setting much better than the original 1950s brick building, which looks a bit like a public convenience... Maybe the planning department will agree... or maybe they won't and I might need to appeal.
Should take out an insurance policy to cover any costs in the event of a refusal... or is it too late now that the council has become involved?

I think you are getting too hung up on calling it a silo. It might have been a silo in it's previous life but now it is a studio. You are applying for retrospective permission to build a studio.

Often a commercial non residential use is considered favourably in rural locations so you will have to build a case that the proposed building will provide employment, possibly be a tourist destination and add to the local rural economy. Just stop calling it a silo, unless of course you are planning on filling it with grain, in which case I'm not sure the windows will be very effective.

Not sure how good an artist's studio it would make but I agree that is the proposal that requires planning permission ,but the planners might take some convincing on 'creating employment and a tourist destination adding to the local rural economy'.
As an artist's studio I presume it will need bigger windows to provide more natural light.

I thought the windows were a bit small for a studio, but then what actually is a studio. I assumed it was an artist's studio but it could be a photographic studio or maybe a studio flat?

I was trying to put a positive spin on the proposals as unless they can show some kind of commercial use I don't think they've got a hope in hell. Although, depending where it is a holiday let might get through. Shame really as I do not dislike the look of it and it is quite an innovative idea.

First thing to do is look at the council's local planning policies for this area or type of land, and see what they say. If you are able to do that yourself it saves paying someone. This may (pardon the pun) paint a better picture of the situation.

Otherwise just phone up a few consultants and get them around for a chat and a quote - should be free or just a few pounds for expenses. Then you may get an opinion of what you are up against, and who may be the best one to advise you further.

If say, that area is one where that kind of structure is not out of place, then that's a good start. Then its whether the use is acceptible, and you concentrate on that. It's all about use and impact, and these can often be twisted and worded into something that meets the planners requirements. But you need to know the concerns and planning issues first if you are to know how to approach the planners.

Off the top of my head, it may be that planners may be more receptive to approve a grain silo that may then be converted to a studio, than they would to approve a studio that looks like a grain silo. But you need to know the policies and details in order to plan how to approach it.

Many thanks for your comments....

Firstly, the silo is actually quite light inside... what you can't see in my photo is the Crittal French doors which are South facing, as are the two hatches in the roof...
I am retired. I sold my home and decided to do something I have dreamed of all my life, and that was to acquire a piece of land to turn into a wildlife reserve... that the property had a small building on it was a bonus. I really wanted to use it as an art studio, but the old pumping station faces East and only has small windows on that side. Not only that, at 19' x 11', once I have put in a WC, etc., it really doesn't have the necessary space to create large canvasses & sculpture.

The silo just happened along... it was cheap and it effectively doubles the available space whilst keeping to the same footprint.
I can use the land entirely for my own enjoyment or alternatively, it would make a great holiday let, if the council were to allow..

I think it would make a great place for visiting artists to stay... the area is full of wildlife and is close to a river and marshes...

I guess I would need to apply for a change of use, though, as it is currently B1 Office use. It seems that the planners are happy for the pump house to be used as an office...and they have also said it can have two parking spaces and that the WC would need to be big enough to allow for disabled access... Though I'm not sure how this could be achieved without extending the building... and there lies the problem, because there is no Permitted Development in place.

The previous owner wanted to use it as an equine rehabilitation centre, but at just under an acre, I can see why this idea was refused... it involved further multiple buildings and a horse exerciser whilst retaining the pumping station as an office. It would have been too much...

I honestly can't see that replacing the pump house with the silo, which is much more in keeping with the agricultural nature of the land would be opposed... but who knows?

I suppose I need to make a decision on whether to go for business use, holiday lets or a change of use to sui generis when I make the application. I didn't go into this with an actual plan... as you can probably guess!! But now I need to decide which direction to go in....

Meanwhile, I have enjoyed being on the land and have been planting out a native hedgerow and wildflowers... I am lucky enough to have a deep well containing the most amazingly clear (drinkable) water and have installed a submersible pump which enabled me to re-instate a silted up watercourse earlier this year. This has attracted all sorts of wildlife, including water voles, which are endangered, and also hares...

I really appreciate all the help you have given... many thanks!

Looking forward to living the dream...

Regards, Theda.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back